WELCOME TO CANVAS TELEMARK
Important information about your stay
Welcome to Canvas!
Please read all the following carefully:
Checkin is done in advance, so please take time to fill out the for in the link below for each person arriving. If not, we cannot guarantee availability of a rental bike upon arrival.
CLICK HERE TO CHECK IN AND TO ORDER A RENTAL BIKE
The hotel is situated between to small lakes called ”Øytjønn” 460 meter above sea level, about two kilometers from the nearest road.
We meet you at the parking lot at 16.00 or 18.00 if nothing else is agreed upon in advance. The parking lot is a 2km hike or bike trip from the hotel and we will take your luggage from there with a jeep and boat.
Dinner is served around 20.30 on the day of arrival, so make sure not to be dead hungry upon arrival.
We only accept Card payment. Alcohol and rentals will be settled at checkout. (No AMEX and Diners)
DRIVING DIRECTIONS CAN BE DOWNLOADED HERE
Your stay at Canvas Hotel
In the hotel there are two watering can showers, ten bathtubs and a sauna for 12. There are toilets in every room.
The luxury ”Hästens” beds are covered with comfortable down duvets and extra blankets for the chilly nights. Every Yurt has a wooden stove that you can use for heating.
All the meals are served in the kitchen tent, and as a guest we expect you to participate in the final parts of the cooking process. In the middle of the table, there are three large grilles where we make the meat, fish or vegetables.
- Biking Shoes or light waterproof hiking shoes
- Bring your own pedals if you want (Rental bikes have flats)
- Kneepads and elbow pads is recommended
- Other personal bike equipment of choice (We have helmets you can borrow)
- Small backpack
- Extra shoes for the camp
- Wind & waterproof outer shell jacket & trousers
- Insulating base layer (wool recommended)
- Insulating mid layer (wool, fleece or thin down vest)
- Sun cream
- Swimming clothes
- Personal toiletries
- Water bottle or Camelbak
- Comfortable, warm (down jacket) & informal clothing for evenings
We buy new bikes every season, and this year we will rent out full suspension Trek Fuel EX 8 27+ inch bicycles for the optimal float through the terrain.
The bikes comes with «flats» (pedals with spikes for use with regular shoes), but feel free to bring your own pedals.
The bikes are expensive and we can hold you liable for reckless usage. The rent includes a helmet.
If you bring your own bike, please make sure it is made for the purpose of singletrack mountain biking. Most hardtail (front suspension only) bikes are not. We will refuse to go riding with you and be responsible for your safety if you have unsuitable equipment.
The rental bikes will be handed out at the hotel, so prepare for a 30min hike from the parking lot.
For the record, it is not allowed to bring your own alcoholic beverages to be consumed in the Canvas Hotel premises, or hotel area, due to safety and legislative reasons. However, we promise to bring alcohol to wherever you are at all times;-)
Route to Canvas Hotel
We highly recommend using Google Maps on your phone. The search term to use is ”Skarkemyra, Nissedal” «Canvas Hotel» will also work. This will bring you all the way to the parking lot. As a backup, please print out this map and bring along, as the gravel road is not sign posted, and the mobile phone coverage is very variable.
The general direction is south from Oslo on E18, to Sunde Bru where you leave E18 in the direction of Gjerstad, and then Felle.
It takes about 1 hour from you leave E18 to Felle. 3 km west of Felle in the middle of a bend in the road, you turn off the paved road onto a gravel road marked with a small white sign ”Skytebane”.
- Send us an SMS with name and number of people to be picked up when you leave the paved road to +47 930 86 155 (Thomas) and +47 954 87 211 (Desmond.)
- Then follow the gravel road 6,5 km to Onstad gård (farm)
- Just after Onstad Gård, you pay 50 kroner road toll, put the money in an envelope, and mark the envelope with the registration number of your car.
- You then proceed along the gravel road, and turn right at the bottom of the hill after Onstad Gård.
- Keep right in the bottom of the hill 500 metres after the toll road gate
- Then straight along a vinding country road for another 5,5 km.
- You then arrive at a junction where you see a road barrier on the left. Continue straigh ahead
- Turn left 500 metres after this junction.
- Park on the left side where you see the sign Canvas Hotel about 2,5 km after the junction.